Theater creates a space for human connection by engaging us in stories about other people’s lives. Through theater, we walk in other people’s shoes and see the world through their eyes.
Playwrights are the leaders in the theater-making process at The Lark. We believe that when playwrights are free to write what they choose, in the ways that they choose, they’re able to convey unique visions of the world.
By supporting playwrights from diverse backgrounds, helping them to establish groundbreaking careers against all odds, and partnering with a national and global network of local community organizations, colleges and theater producers, we bring visionary voices to public awareness and shed new light on the cultural conversation in a rapidly changing and global society.
The Lark is an incubator for free expression and new ideas. We do not rely on ticket sales or service fees. In the spirit of all “research and development,” our mission is to provide playwrights and their collaborators with the resources they need to create original and relevant work – free from commercial pressures.
Your contribution helps to provide a safe home for artists, a global hub for cultural exchange, and an accessible space for people from all backgrounds. We depend on YOU for 98% of the revenue that has made us a valuable cultural resource for over two decades.
- Free admission to the public for all play readings and workshops
- Play development support for nearly 1,000 artists each year
- Fellowships for emerging, rising, and mid-career playwrights
- One of the only free play submissions processes in the country for all playwrights (1,000+ submissions a year)
- An easily accessible and high-quality space in the theater district
- Advocacy for new plays and partnerships with more than 41 organizations, including The New Black Fest and The Apothetae
To learn more, please feel free to call Roni Ferretti, Development Manager, at (212) 246-2676, ext. 233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also donate online here.
Thank you for your generous support.