The Lark is dedicated to creating a welcoming, rigorous environment for playwrights to create stories that inspire us to think differently about the world. To accomplish this work, we strive to curate a creative, dedicated, flexible, and diverse team that embraces our mission and values, and our dedication to equity, access, and inclusion.
We strive to creating a work space that allows staff members to not only accomplish their specific job responsibilities but also engage in “big think” conversations about The Lark’s strategic objectives, our role in the field, and our impact on society.
The Lark is accepting applications for a Finance Associate who will work with the Director of Operations to manage and maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization. Responsibilities will include general accounting duties including accounts receivable, accounts payable, month-end reporting, and maintaining electronic files and journal entries. The Lark is an international theater laboratory, based in New York City, dedicated to empowering playwrights by providing transformative support within a global community. This is a part-time position that provides the opportunity to be part of a dynamic team, and to learn more about not-for-profit operations in a unique theater company whose values of equity, access, and inclusion are core to its mission.
Director of Operations
The Finance Associate will work closely with the Director of Operations to manage and maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Provide administrative support for Director of Operations with documents and financial materials necessary for annual financial planning
- Assist in assembling annual budget
- Track (input) expenses for all budget lines including vendor & artist payments
- Manage monthly reconciliations and expense reporting
- Work with Director of Operations and Bookkeeper to track restricted revenue releases
- Prep quarterly projections for board reporting
- Work with Development Associate on tracking and reporting income
- Provide administrative support for longer term financial planning and tracking including special funds
- Assist Development in preparing budgets for grant proposals and reporting
- Assist the Executive team in planning and prepping for quarterly board meetings
- Manage and reconcile petty cash disbursements monthly
- Work collaboratively with bookkeeper and auditor to maintain fiscal integrity and records keeping throughout the year and assist with annual audit preparation
- Collect timesheet and paid time off data from Lark employees
- Assist HR with payroll reporting as needed
- Be a part of The Lark team by participating in staff meetings, staff retreats, and celebrations, and serving the mission and values of The Lark through these responsibilities
Desirable Attributes and Interests
- Commitment to The Lark’s core values of equity, access, and inclusion and to creating and maintaining a welcoming and equitable environment
- Strong communication skills, especially as it relates to written communications.
- Strong work ethic and accountability
- Ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple assignments and work both in teams and independently
Requested Skills and Experience
- Relevant experience in finances and administration, preferably 3+ years doing similar work
- A working knowledge of nonprofit finances
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Quickbooks accounting software is a plus
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
Work is performed in an office environment and is sedentary in nature. The job will include talking, sitting, hearing, and repetitive movement associated with keyboarding.
- $20-$22 per hour. Final offer will be based on experience.
- This is a part-time, 20-25 hour work week, non-benefit eligible position.
- Ideally March 2018
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send resume, cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position and The Lark and your commitment to equity and inclusion, and two references (name and email) in one pdf to email@example.com.
The Lark’s Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The Lark is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and equitable environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Equity, access and inclusion are core values at the Lark and we are dedicated to increasing the diversity within our staff as it enriches our work and our organization. We encourage candidates who identity as people of color, disabled, trans* or non-binary, and queer to apply. All applications will receive consideration for employment.