Theater creates a space for human connection by engaging us in stories about other people’s lives, and playwrights are at the center of that creative process. At The Lark, we believe when playwrights are free to write what they choose, in the ways that they choose, they’re able to convey unique visions of the world.
By supporting playwrights from diverse backgrounds, increasing their odds of establishing groundbreaking careers, and partnering with a national and global network of community organizations, colleges, and producers, we bring visionary perspectives to public awareness, and shed new light on the cultural conversation in a rapidly changing society.
The Lark is an incubator for free expression and new ideas. We do not rely on ticket sales or service fees. In the spirit of all “research and development,” our mission is to provide playwrights and their collaborators with the resources they need to create original and relevant work – free from commercial pressures.
Your contribution helps to provide a safe home for artists, a global hub for cultural exchange, and an accessible space for people from all backgrounds. We depend on YOU for 98% of the revenue that has made us a valuable cultural resource for over two decades.
Here's a sampling of what our generous contributors make possible:
- Free admission to the public for all play readings and workshops
- Play development support for hundred of artists each year
- Fellowships for emerging, rising, and mid-career playwrights
- One of the only free play submissions processes in the country for all playwrights (1,000+ submissions a year)
- An easily accessible and high-quality space in the theater district
- Advocacy for new plays and partnerships with more than 41 organizations, including The New Black Fest and The Apothetae
At a glance.
For more information about the impact support of The Lark has had, check out our most recent season's Annual Report!
To learn more, please feel free to call Roni Givigliano, Development Manager, at (212) 246-2676, ext. 233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your generous support!